Saturday, September 5, 2009

Bountiful Basket, Barely Made It

As it turns out, if you have an alarm that's set to go off from M-F, it won't wake you up on Saturday. Oops. I ended up waking up at 8:36 this morning because Milo was crying, and remembered that I had a co-op fruit and veg basket to pick up at 8:30, which led to all sorts of running around, trying to find clothes. Add a rather nasty diaper to that, and I was shocked when we got to the pickup spot and there were still people there. Anyway, I ended up chatting to a woman wearing her little daughter in an Ergo carrier, because she'd asked what I had Milo in (it's a buckle tai, a mei tai carrier with buckles), and where I'd gotten in (Etsy). Apparently, she'd had a lot of people ask if her baby could breathe in there, which I've never had to deal with, since Milo is usually either babbling to people, or trying to steal their cell phones. He's not exactly an introvert.

We came home with two bags of produce, which I'll be trying to use for meals this week.

5 avocados
2 heads of broccoli
1 head of romaine lettuce
6 baking
potatoes
2 big green peppers
a little bunch of radishes

3 lbs bag of gala apples
4 grapefruits
a 'personal size' watermelon
9 peaches
a big bunch of bananas (Milo ate TWO bananas last night)
4 pears

All of this cost $16.50 -- $15 for the produce, and a $1.50 handling fee. There are usually themed add-on packs too, like Italian ones with eggplant, tomatoes, and muchrooms, or Mexican, with onions, cilantro, and tomatilos. There was a tropical one a few weeks ago I really wish I'd gone for, since it ended up containing a ton of good looking fruit. Those are usually about $7.50. I did get the $15 case of cherries (18 lbs!) which I shared with coworkers and inlaws, made into pies, and ate a ton of. Would definitely do that again. With very few exceptions, the items are always in really good shape. Oh, there's an organic option some weeks, too, for $25, and bread, which is GOOD, but only available in large quantities.

All of this stuff comes from BountifulBaskets.org, and if you're in Arizona, Utah, or Washington, you should definitely check the site out. I'll be writing about what I do with my basket later.

No comments:

Post a Comment